MELANOTAN 2 DESCRIPTION
Melanotan 2 is a synthetic analogue of the peptide hormone α-melanocyte-stimulating hormone (α-MSH), which belongs to the melanocortin peptide group. These melanocortin peptides are natural hormones involved with pigmentation, energy homeostasis, sexual functioning, the immune system, inflammation, and the cardiovascular system. Melanotan II non-selectively mimics the action of melanocortin peptides.
MELANIN AND MELANOCYTES
Melanin is a dark pigment primarily responsible for skin color. Functionally, melanin serves as protection against UV radiation. Melanin is produced through a process called melanogenesis by Melanocytes – melanin-producing neural crest-derived cells located in the bottom layer (the stratum basale) of the skin’s epidermis, the middle layer of the eye (the uvea), the inner ear, vaginal epithelium, meninges, bones, and heart. Typically, between 1000 and 2000 melanocytes are found per square millimeter of skin or approximately 5% to 10% of the cells in the basal layer of epidermis. Although their size can vary, melanocytes are typically 7 μm in length. Once synthesized, melanin is contained in special organelles called melanosomes which can be transported to nearby keratinocytes to induce pigmentation. Melanocytes also have a role in the immune system.
MECHANISM OF ACTION
Melanotan 2 acts as a non-selective agonist of the melanocortin receptors type MC1, MC3, MC4, and MC5. To the extent that melanotan II produces melanogenesis, this is thought to be caused by activation of the MC1 receptor, whereas its clinically documented sexual effects are thought to be related to its ability to activate the MC4 receptor (though the MC3 is thought to possibly also be involved). Increased melanin production helps protect the hypodermis, which is the layer under the skin from the UV-B light that causes damage. It works by absorbing UV-B light, which blocks its passage into the skin layer.
MELANOTAN RESULTS OF ACTION
Clinical trials have shown that use of Melanotan 2 significantly promotes natural melanogenesis. Related increased melanin production promotes faster and stronger tanning of the skin exposed to ultraviolet radiation from sun, and simultaneously improves its natural resistance before sunburn. With this way may Melanotan 2 help to protect skin against the harmful effects of UV rays and prevent skin cancer. Melanotan 2 also significantly increases libido and sexual activity and suppresses hunger.
SCIENTIFICALLY INVESTIGATED POSSIBLE BENEFITS OF MELANOTAN 2
- MTII can effectively help protect the skin from the harmful effects of UV rays and prevent skin cancer
- MTII can help reduce body fat by hunger suppressant
- MTII increases libido
MELANOTAN 2 POSSIBLE SHORT TERM SIDE-EFFECTS AFTER ADMINISTRATION
- Reduced appetite, nausea and vomiting
- Spontaneous erections in males 1-5 hours after administration
- Burning and redness around the application
- High blood pressure
LONG TERM USE CONCERNS, MELANOTAN MAY INCREASE THE RISK OF
- Hyperpigmentation, deepening of the colour of moles, new moles and atypical melanocytic naevi
- Encephalopathy syndrome
MELANOTAN 2 FAQ
May Melanotan 2 help you lose weight?
YES: By suppressing hunger, melanotan can help you lose weight and excess body fat.
Can I get skin cancer while using Melanotan 2?
YES, it is still not excluded!
1) For some, a suntan is so socially desirable that they’ll do anything to get one. Many expose themselves to heavy doses of sunlight, to the point of burning, and some use sunbeds as well. Beware and remember: you can’t rely only on Melanotan to protect your skin against heavy doses of UV or to reduce the risk of skin cancer. Even if you have a tan, you can still burn and still increase your risk of skin cancer.
2) Melanotan I and Melanotan II have both been tested in several clinical trials. These have generally found that they can increase levels of melanin, as they are meant to do. One study even found that it could provide some protection against sunburn and the DNA damage that accompanies it. So the researchers working to develop Melanotan may be on the right track, but we stress that these studies are in their early stages. They need to be confirmed in larger trials. Means, today Melanotan 2 is still not sufficiently investigated for any guaranteed answers or allegations, so rather always remember, excessive and exaggerated sunbathing always may increase the risk of skin cancer.
Does Melanotan 2 nasal spray work?
Only partially, substantially less: Melanotan 2 which is used in the nasal sprays is much less effective.
Does Melanotan darken hair?
Very rare, that hair color will change on your head (as a result of ingestion of melanotan).
Does Melanotan change eye colour?
NO: Performed clinical trials haven’t shown to change eye color.
Does Melanotan raise blood pressure?
YES: Melanotan negative effects could include high blood pressure.
MELANOTAN 2 DOSAGE
In the scientific studies and clinical trials performed, the optimal dose of Melanotan 2 is often reported as 10 mcg per 1 kg body weight daily.
Melanotan 2 acts as agonist of the melanocortin receptors. Melanotan stimulates production of melanin by melanocytes – dark pigment primarily responsible for skin color, that the body uses to protect the skin from sunlight UV radiation and harmful effects, also significantly increases libido and suppresses hunger. Melanotan 2 is scientifically researched as a promising future protection of the skin from the harmful effects of sunlight and skin cancer, a remedy for erectile dysfunction, or for the treatment of obesity.